Juniors to watch in 2019 part I - Under 19 Zone

Thursday 21 February 2019

Juniors to watch in 2019 part I

After an off year which is more precisely explained here I'm glad to welcome you back on my blog with annual "Juniors to watch" list just before the season starts.

I've made my list of juniors to watch twice in a past and looking back at mentioned names I can proudly say that I have listed some of the biggest talents in junior category back then who managed to develop into professional riders. Long story short, from ten riders on my 2014 list, eight are racing as professionals right now. The other two were Igor Decreane and Adrien Costa..

The list from 2015 was more tricky as it contains both World Tour level riders (Sivakov, Honoré, Eenkhoorn & Philipsen) together with guys who did not prove their talent (yet?) like Leo Appelt and Anthon Charmig.

What the future brings for riders mentioned below ?

Lewis Askey (Great Britain, 2001)


Photo: swpix_cycling
Lewis was one of the riders who were an obvious picks for my list. There is no better way to prove your talent then win in a Nations Cup event in junior category. And it's even more obvious if you win Paris Roubaix, decisively the most important one day race in U19 apart from World Champs. Lewis also proved his ability to ride on cobbles in Gent Wevelgem where he was 13th and E3 Harelbeke where he finished fifth. The second part of the season was highlighted by 2nd place in Philippe Gilbert Juniors where Askey showed his skills on more hilly terrain. Lewis is also a successful cyclo- cross rider who has recently won three races of HSBC UK Cyclo-Cross National Trophy Series, silver medal in National Championships and finished third in World Cup in Heusden-Zolder. In 2019 Lewis Askey will be one of the favorites in spring classics and you can expect him to be ready for his home World Champs in Yorkshire.

I have asked Lewis how he reflects his 2018 season and what are his goals for 2019:

My 2018 season was pretty amazing now I look back on it. I always believed I could do well but to win the biggest nations cup of them all wasn’t expected. Coming into that velodrome into deafening crowds and been able to put my hands in the air is something I will never forget. It sends shivers down my spine writing about it here. I had a good spell in the classic season with great legs at Gent Wevelgem even if I only came away with 13th and a 5th at E3 Harelbeke. I love the hard messy races, I don’t like coming to the finish with 100 other people it’s stressful so war of nutrition races like Roubaix suit me. I also managed 2nd place at La Philippe Gilbert. Road worlds was an amazing experience I didn’t come away with the best result (20 something) but I learnt a lot to take to next year. I also had a good season on the UK scene winning Hatherleigh, 2nd in Cicle Classic and 2nd in Road National Championships. In 2019 the big goal is clearly the home world championships. Apart from that, I just want to carry on enjoying riding my bike (I’m only a junior & still at school). I’m hoping to compete in nations cups and have a good classic season. That’s what I enjoy so I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself. Roubaix is going to be a goal, it would be pretty cool to win that twice in a row there’s nothing wrong with giving it a go. And finally Cicle Classic. I got 2nd last year and I loved the race so that would be nice to win as I think is portrays the type of rider I’d like to be!

Enzo Leijnse (2001, Netherlands)


I have spotted Enzo first time in 2017 when he had impressive amount of wins in local races in Netherlands including prestigious Wim Hendriks Trofee and Junior Cycling Tour Assen. He also showed his skills in Tour de Himmelfart, Danish race he clearly loves as he has already managed to win it three times in three different age categories. Most recently, in 2019 as a junior.  Thanks to his versatility and time trial abilities, Enzo gained his best results in stage races. He started well in May finishing twelve in Course de la Paix with second place in youth category behind Antonio Tiberi. The next stop was Saarland Trofeo where he finished sixth in GC and once again second in youth category behind Fredrik Wandahl. After that Enzo won Acht van Bladel thanks to second place in time trial and decent ride on all other stages. The season highlight was clearly Grand Prix Rüebliland, the race which is not a part of Nations Cup but always provide high level of competition and for many riders it's the last test before the Worlds. Leijnse won time trial on third stage and managed to hold on the leaders jersey on the final stage. In 2019 Enzo will continue to ride for WTC De Amstel team and we can expect him to see in the biggest Nations Cup events as a part of national team. General classification win in one of the Nations Cup events is definitely withing his reach. 


Hugo Page (2001, France)

Dodaj napis
Hugo Page is another example of rider who had amazing palmares in u17 category (and younger ones, as well) including Trophée Madiot general classification win in 2017 and three titles on track. His transition to junior category went extremely well as he has managed to win his first ever uci rated race in junior category out sprinting his opponents in Bernaudeau Junior. His next stop was Tour des Portes du Pays d'Othe where he managed to win the overall classification thanks to TTT win by his team, BTWIN-AG2R La Mondiale U19. The next French race on his calendar was Tour de Loué-Brulon-Noyen where he managed to win the opening time tria. His sprinting skills gave him a win once again in Tour du Pays de Vaud where he has won a reduced bunch sprint and finished nineth in GC. The second part of the season was quieter one with several solid places including 12th in UEC Juniors Road European Championships on extremely difficult race won by Remco Evenepoel and tenth in season closing Chrono des Nations. In 2019 we can expect Hugo to win some bunch sprints but also to prove his level in more hilly terrain. 

Fredrik Wandahl (2001, Denmark)

Dodaj napis
My personal favorite and one of the riders I expect to shine or even dominate junior category in 2019. On paper, there were riders who had a better results as first year junior in  2018 but it was Fredrik who improved steadily for the whole year before his season's best performance in World Championships. As many riders on my list, Fredrik impressed already in u17 category winning Criterium Europeen des Jeunes in dominating style with two solo stage wings and second place right behind his team mate, William Blume Levy on the final stage and, obviously, a GC win. Other notable win was GC in Course de la Paix u17. His first spring as a junior was full of decent results in stage races with 15th place in GC in both Course de la Paix and Cottbuser Junioren-Etappenfahrt. In May Fredrik won two stages of Tour de Himmelfart and finished sixth overall. Saarland Trofeo was the first sign of his big talent as he managed to escape and win the opening stage of the race leaving behind some big names like Wærenskjold, Vacek and Leijnse.  In general classification Fredrik finished fourth and won the young rider jersey. The biggest win of the season came just few weeks later when Fredrik has become the national champion in road race. in July Wandahl finished second in Johan Museeuw Classic after a sprint from elite group which included names like Braet, Hessmann and Mayrhofer. Finally, Wandahl was fifth in Innsbruck where he was the best first year junior on very difficult route against the very best of junior riders of the whole 2018. In 2019 I expect Wandahl to win at least one Nations Cup event and continue to prove that Denmark is one of the leading nations in junior category.


I have asked Fredrik how he reflects his 2018 season and what are his goals for 2019:

Last year was a very good season, especially since I was only a first year junior. I had a rough start at the 2018 season, but I continued to motivate myself. 
My best moments from the 2018 season are my First Nations Cup stage victory and winner of the overall youth classification in Saarland Trofeo. My national championship in road race was big me. And my fifth place and best placed 2001 at the junior World Championship in Innsbruck was the biggest result. 
My goals the next season are the classics, but my main goals are Course de la Paix and  World Championships in Yorkshire.

Stay tuned for second part!

No comments:

Post a Comment